Mother's Day - 2008

Mother's Day - 2008
My "Sweet Spot"

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Perseverance

This summer I read the book entitled, 1776 by David McCullough. I have to admit I love history and enjoy reading nonfiction historical books. Our visit to Boston this past April heightened by interest in the Revolutionary War and the founders (both men and women) of our country. This finished book has been sitting on my desk for a few weeks because I have been wanting to blog about it.

My favorite quote is taken from one of the last pages of this book. It is about George Washington. "He was not a brilliant strategist or tactician, not a gifted orator, not an intellectual. At several crucial moments he had shown marked indecisiveness. He had made serious mistakes in judgment. But experience had been his great teacher from boyhood, and in this his greatest test, he learned steadily from experience. Above all, Washington never forgot what was at stake and he never gave up." (Page 293) Wow, it pays to dig deeper and see what makes a man or woman. This quote is about a man that became our first president, that is honored by a national holiday and was addressed as his excellency, George Washington.

George Washington is proof that the experiences of our life and how we react to them make us who we are and who we will become. It takes a lot of wisdom to learn from ones experiences and how does one truly learn but through experiences. I think at times I am afraid to try something new because of a fear of the process of the experience or fear of failure. This did not seem to stop Washington because he knew what was at stake, the future of our country. What is at stake for a Christian? People who do not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. So we must persevere and not give up serving God nor should we be afraid of the experience he might take us through because of the lives that might be changed because of the experience. Lest we are humans, so we must remember to endeavor not for the glory we might receive but so that God might be glorified through us. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9 (One of my all-time favorite verses).

Now I can return this book that I have had all summer back to the library :)

No comments: